Tuesday, May 15, 2007

An Open Letter to Cody Wody Gallo

You are the person who encouraged me most recently to start up writing again. So, I'm going to write to you.

The mixture of sadness and pride I feel when I think about your departure is hard to explain. But I'll try. The sad part is easiest to verbalize. I'm gonna miss you (a bajillion times more than I already do.) And fear has found a quiet place in the back of my brain. I don't want you to get hurt. And I don't know if I'll ever be able to push that thought away without crying. I don't want you to get hurt emotionally either. I don't want you to be come back jaded or haunted. You're such a passionate person I can't imagine how that's possible. But I still wish I could keep you from it. I want to keep you here to draw stars on your arm with Natasha and watch reality tv with me.

But the pride I feel for who you are and why you'll be there puts up a good fight with my sadness. The thought of discouraged, fearful families getting to know you as a member of the US fills me with so much pride and thanks. I'm so glad it's your face they'll see amidst a mass of camouflage. I'm so glad it's you, with your quick wit and tree-huggin' love, that other soldiers will be looking up to. I'm just so glad it's you I will think of when I think of this war. You have added so much joy and hope to my life and it's only fair that the rest of the world get to experience you. I guess I'm really just learning to share.

So please be careful. I really need you around. I expect you to hightail it to LA when you're back on US soil, (by way of Maryland, I'm sure.) So hurry. I need someone to babysit my baby.

I love you and I'll miss you, Wody.

Always,

Linds

1 comment:

Cody said...

Linds,

First, it makes me really happy to see you writing, and after talking to you last night, it sounds like you are doing well. It's gotten to the point now where I'm thinking daily about moving out to LA in a few years. I miss you though and many visit will have to suffice until then.

I realize that my impending deployment is probably hardest on my family which you are definitely a part of, sis (still working on your native name). I am so appreciative of how much love and support I receive, and I will strive to make you proud of all my actions over there. I also know that coming home to such a strong support system will allow me to quickly return to the person I am should anything happen.

And, lastly, I promise that a trip to LA will be the first thing on my agenda as soon as I return, Natasha included because she is dying to hangout with you for real.

peace,
Cody Wody Very Dark Blue Sky Gallo